‘It’s worth every penny of money and every ounce of effort.’
That’s how 49-year-old Doug described his transformation journey with U.P.
He had been overweight, unhealthy and almost resigned to the fact he was ‘too old to get in shape.’
But coming to U.P. changed all that, and now as he approaches his 50th birthday, he’s in the best shape of his life.
The Hong Kong-based financial consultant lost 12kg and more than halved his body fat down to a lean 9.9% on his transformation.
U.P. Hong Kong Central’s Client of the Month Doug explains how he achieved his transformation, the biggest benefits he found and why U.P. is so successful at delivering results…
What was your motivation to sign up to U.P.?
My motivation for signing up with U.P. was that I had got to a point, through business and travel and whatever internal narrative was going on in my mind, where I thought ‘I’m older now, I don’t have to be in shape,’ and I just let myself go completely.
I was overweight and unhealthy, and I knew that didn’t fit into the life plan that I had for myself or the self-image I had internally, so I just wanted to sort it out.
Can you describe your diet and lifestyle before U.P.?
My diet before U.P. – I knew what healthy food was and what non-healthy food was; most people do these days.
But I was eating the wrong quantities of them, at the wrong times; I was cheating a lot. You persuade yourself it’s okay to have this or that.
I really wasn’t aware of calories, stupidly.
It just wasn’t something that was in my level of consciousness. I just wasn’t thinking that way.
My diet was poor – I was overeating and underexercising, and basically getting fat.
How would you describe the training experience and coaching at U.P.?
My training experience has been excellent. It’s been life-changing, quite literally.
From the gym training side of things, when you enter the gym at Ultimate Performance, it’s just one of intensity. Everyone in there is training hard.
Everybody is focussed on their goals, and everyone is there to improve themselves.
It’s not an intimidating gym. It’s a friendly, welcoming place.
But everyone is there getting work done, and that rubs off and creates its own energy and ecosystem that you feed off.
My trainer is just excellent. He is there, for you.
When you’re training, your form and the way you’re doing something means you’re just getting the best drop of juice out of every rep.
There are no eyes wandering or chatting to other trainers; it’s all about you.
That’s big for me. It’s important, and it really makes a difference.
Outside of the gym, experience is where it really kicks into its own and starts adding the value.
It doesn’t just stop when you finish your session. My trainer was constantly there texting or WhatsApping me, checking my food application and saying ‘you’ve not eaten enough calories. You’ve eaten too many calories. Drink more water. How was your sleep last night?’
It’s constant, and you really feel like you’ve got a partner. It’s fantastic. It really is over and above.
What have your results been like?
I’m very pleased with my results. It’s worth every penny of money and every ounce of effort.
It’s been constant results because I’ve been helped and trained correctly.
The science is sound. There’s no guesswork involved in this. It’s about executing the right protocol for you.
One of the things that’s very impressive and helps keep you on track is the fact that you’re tracked and measured every single week; body fat, weight, and many different metrics.
You form a statistical chart where you can see your progress. So even when you don’t feel like you’re progressing, you can see you have. Or if you’ve been naughty, you can see your progress has slowed down.
It’s there as plain as the nose on your face, and that really helps.
What three biggest benefits have you experienced from your transformation?
1. The protocols are great. You really feel there is sound science behind what you are doing due to the fact that across the company so much data is being collected every week that they must have the right protocols for delivering precisely the result one is looking for.
2. The attention to detail is there, yet the complete ownership of the result from my trainer and the gym team is also very evident.
3. “Strong work ethic ecosystem” – this is also big for me. I want to enter a gym where people are working hard, sweating and focused and not “horsing” around in little groups. This is the case at UP; everyone is working hard in a disciplined way. This rubs off.
What did it feel like seeing your before and after pictures?
Looking at my before and after result pictures has just been so shocking.
I don’t know how I left the house in the before pictures!
It’s amazing. When you look in the mirror, you don’t really see the true images of yourself.
Looking at the before pictures and the after pictures, it’s just night and day.
I’m like a different human being – and I feel like a different human being. I feel like a better person.
What has your wife’s reaction been?
My wife likes the new body. It was a good reaction. She’s very impressed.
She’s very happy. It’s important – it’s like an investment into your relationship.
You’re looking good not just for yourself, but for the person you care about too. That’s important to us.
What’s the magic ingredient to success at U.P.?
Faith. You just have to believe in the process, the protocol and the system.
Stick with it, and they will work it out for you. You just have to have faith and stick to it, and you will come out the other side, and you will enjoy it.
What would you say to your friends if they asked you about U.P.?
Do it, in a heartbeat! I can’t recommend it strongly enough.
I’m constantly wondering how I can apply this methodology to my business. It is outstanding – first class.
Anyone can come down, and if you stick to the programme, you will get a result.
- We show you the best, we don't show you the worst.
- We show you people who follow the plans, not those who are all talk.
- We show you those who inspire even us with their commitment to their results.
- You cannot get results exactly like these. You are unique and that means you can only get your own best possible results.
- Your results are a function of time spent following the plan; your genetic response to the right exercise and diet program; how hard you train; how consistently you come to the gym; how disciplined you are with your diet; & your starting point.
- Oftentimes the lower your starting point (poor fitness, terrible body composition) the better your results.
- We cannot do the work for you and the results you see here are a testament to the work ethic of our clients.
- Our reputation is that we are the best trainers in the world for helping you to unlock your potential, & we can lead you to the door, give you the key, even turn the handle and push the door open, but we cannot walk through it for you.
In the end the result is down to you.
Like these results? Send us your details in the form below to receive information about our programs