Can you stay in great shape after completing a body transformation?
Just take a look at 51-year-old Stewart’s physique nearly two years after starting at UP and you have your answer.
Stewart has gone from strength to strength after his initial 15-week transformation at UP and now he’s in better shape than ever.
Nothing about UP is a crash diet or a quick fix and Stewart explains the key lessons and habits on training, fat loss and nutrition he has developed that have helped him build an even more impressive body…
What was your goal during your original transformation at UP?
Looking back to 20 months ago it is funny to think that I just wanted to feel comfortable in a pair of shorts and get what I referred to as my ‘old corpse’ into shape.
Were you happy with the results you achieved?
I was shocked with what I achieved with my trainer Harry in that short time span. I didn’t have a huge amount of fat to lose (I was ‘skinny fat’ then) somewhere around 5-6 kg but the way my body changed was astonishing.
I didn’t expect my body to respond so readily, and developing the amount of muscle in such a short timescale took me quite a while to adjust to in terms of body image. If I had been promised those results at the beginning I would have walked away in disbelief. I cannot describe the positive impact training has had on my levels of self-esteem and happiness.
What were the most powerful lessons you learned on training?
- If you learn to train properly you can achieve amazing things.
- I am not too old.
- Be consistent and look to constantly progress.
What were the most powerful lessons you learned on diet and nutrition?
I believe all of these are attributable to Nick Mitchell, but they are messages that have stayed with me:
- ‘Eat from the land’ and exercise sensible portion control.
- ‘Wanting’ and ‘needing’ are very different things when it comes to food.
- If you have doubts about whether you should be eating something don’t eat it.
How has your lifestyle changed after your UP transformation?
I gave up smoking when I started at UP. I used to smoke 30 to 40 a day.
I rarely drink alcohol. I used to drink at least half a bottle of wine every day and double on the weekends plus spirits when going out. I have a drink only on special occasions now.
I eat well. I train regularly and most importantly enjoy it.
How has what you learned at UP helped keep you in shape?
- Consistency – with diet and training gets and keeps results.
- I am comfortable in my regular gym knowing that I am doing things properly.
- Always looking to improve and progress.
What are the key things that have helped you maintain your physique and stay in shape?
- I eat properly and train hard.
- I invested a considerable amount of effort, time and money in getting this far and I would have to be a fool to want to throw that away!
- I set goals for myself.
- I am so much happier with the way I feel about my body when I train.
What is your training and diet like now?
I regularly train four times a week and often five for about an hour or so each time. I stick to the “eat off the land” rule and quite honestly can’t imagine eating most of the crap I used to.
I don’t deny myself something if I really want it but when I have a treat it is something I really want not just a craving – I can never say no to good Stracciatella gelato!
What fitness goals are you now aiming for?
Aiming to continue to improve my body, there are areas that I am not entirely happy with and some that need more work to bring them into balance with the rest.
I am always aiming to get stronger. It is an ongoing project with movable goalposts.
I see every bit of work now as an investment in my future. I’ve recently had a few weeks back training at UP Mayfair, getting lean again in preparation for a photoshoot.
I took part in a photoshoot after my first transformation so it’s been interesting to compare the two sets of pictures and see the differences. It’s also been a great opportunity to review my progress to date and make plans for the coming year.
What does it feel like being in control of your diet and knowing how to train properly to stay in great shape?
It feels great I can’t fully explain the difference I feel. I feel not just physically stronger but stronger in life as well.
This lifestyle has rekindled my ambition in other areas and given me renewed enthusiasm and optimism about the future.
What would you say to anyone who thinks that UP results are not sustainable?
UP will give you the results, knowledge and understanding; you have to be accountable for how you use them.
Sure, you could treat this as a quick short-term fix if you wanted to but why would you want to revert to your old lifestyle after investing so much.
You need to realise that this is not a short trip to the next village, this is like emigrating!
- We show you the best, we don't show you the worst.
- We show you people who follow the plans, not those who are all talk.
- We show you those who inspire even us with their commitment to their results.
- You cannot get results exactly like these. You are unique and that means you can only get your own best possible results.
- Your results are a function of time spent following the plan; your genetic response to the right exercise and diet program; how hard you train; how consistently you come to the gym; how disciplined you are with your diet; & your starting point.
- Oftentimes the lower your starting point (poor fitness, terrible body composition) the better your results.
- We cannot do the work for you and the results you see here are a testament to the work ethic of our clients.
- Our reputation is that we are the best trainers in the world for helping you to unlock your potential, & we can lead you to the door, give you the key, even turn the handle and push the door open, but we cannot walk through it for you.
In the end the result is down to you.
Like these results? Send us your details in the form below to receive information about our programs